On the 17th of September 2020, MATLAB R2020b was released. There are countless new features and 5 new products from MathWorks:
- Deep Learning HDL Toolbox – Prototype and deploy deep learning networks on FPGAs and SoCs
- Lidar Toolbox – Design, analyze, and test lidar processing systems
- RoadRunner Scene Builder – Automatically generate 3D road models from HD maps
- UAV Toolbox – Design, simulate, and deploy UAV applications
This article will go over VersionBay’s favorite features in MATLAB and Simulink.
To make this entry as useful as possible VersionBay nominated 4 features for each of the following groups of MATLAB users: Newbies, Casual Users, Proficient Users and Developers.
- Newbies: people who are just starting to use MATLAB.
- Casual Users: they use MATLAB every now and again.
- Proficient Users: people who use MATLAB on a regular basis, e.g. at least 3 times per week.
- Developers: they use MATLAB to develop tools on top of MATLAB to make the organization/community more productive.
Top features for Newbies
- The new Colormap Editor just looks more modern and easier to use
plothas 2 new markers
- Live Editor enables resizing images
Top features for Casual Users
- There are several new Live Tasks:
writestructto read and write data stored in XML
- Customize formatting when writing data to spreadsheet files with
Top features for Proficient Users
extractare a neat alternative to regular expressions
- Export all of the live scripts and live functions in a folder to a standard format
groupsummarynow accepts anonymous functions
uitableadjusts automatically column width based on data
Top features for Developers
- Compare and Merge Apps facilitates using the App Designer in production
- Perform drag gestures on axes and UI axes
matlabReleaseis more elegant than
- Several new argument validators:
mustBeAValidate that value comes from one of the specified classes
mustBeNonmissingValidate that value is not missing
mustBeFloatValidate that value is a floating-point array
mustBeScalarOrEmptyValidate that value is scalar or empty
mustBeVectorValidate that value is a vector
mustBeInRangeValidate that value is in the specified range
mustBeFileValidate that path refers to file
mustBeFolderValidate that the input path refers to folder
mustBeValidVariableNameValidate that the input name is a valid variable name
mustBeTextValidate that value is a string array, character vector, or cell array of character vectors
mustBeTextScalarValidate that value is a single piece of text
mustBeNonzeroLengthTextValidate that value is a string array, character vector, or cell array of character vectors that have non-zero length
If you would like to see a few more tips and tricks with MATLAB check out VersionBay Videos.